Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Non-Adult Education Learners

I found Rita’s statement in The eXtended Web and the Personal Learning Environment PLERN blog concerning “people least likely to use the Internet are also the least likely to participate in adult education” to be so true.  I am amazed by the number of people in my organization who rarely use the Internet as a learning source.  I have been asking myself the same question she poses as to whether we should leave these people behind. 
My close colleagues and I are all excited about technology and how it can improve our learning landscape.  I find it amazing that others within our organization aren’t as excited.  It seems as if technology scares them.  As my colleagues and I build the strategy for the future of our learning organization how are we going to entice these non “adult education” people along?  What will be the carrot that makes the endeavor worth it to them?
I don’t believe we can leave them behind.  The world is producing new technologies every time we turn around.  (What an exciting time to be living in!)  I am hoping that the PLEs offered in the future will hold the right components that “will aid learners who are not so confident in using the Internet for learning activities” (Kop, 2010).
Kop, R. (2010) The eXtended web and the personal learning environment PLERN blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment